I have to give my mom all the credit for this dish. My mom made it for dinner tonight and I loved it so much that I decided to post it. Seriously, it is amazing! The title doesn't describe it or do it justice at all. The feta melts and makes the dish incredibly creamy, the bread crumbs on top the shrimp are just so buttery, and the dish tastes so fresh because of the lemon! It is mmm mmm good!! Thanks mom!
My mom placed the shrimp on top of pasta which worked really well. The tomatoes along with the wine, garlic, fennel, etc makes a great sauce. I would also recommend serving the shrimp itself as a side dish to meat or chicken. That would be delicious as well!
This recipe is from Ina Garten aka the Barefoot Contessa. I have always loved Ina and her recipes. Her recipes always come out delicious! I think I'm also drawn to her because I am slightly jealous of her life in the hamptons, her clan of rich friends, her entertaining, and her ability to cook and bake gourmet all day every day for her husband Jeffery. Its really quite the life (or so it seems)!
Recipe Source: Food Network-Barefoot Contessa
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups medium-diced fennel
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 pounds (16 to 20 per pound) peeled shrimp (Ina left the tails
on...my mom took the tails of-they were much easier to eat that way!)
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat
- Add the fennel to the olive oil for 8 to 10 minutes, until fennel is soft.
- Add the garlic to the fennel and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and bring to a boil
- Scrape the skillet to take up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until liquid is reduced.
- Add the tomatoes with the liquid, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper to the skillet.
- Simmer over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes
- Place the shrimp in the skillet over the tomato mixture.
- Scatter feta over the shrimp.
- In a bowl combine bread crumbs, parsley, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over shrimp and feta cheese.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon over shrimp and serve!