It is definitely one of my favorite party appetizers to make. It's fast and easy, and I can throw it together in no time. I also love that it is a cold dip. Since I don't have to worry about baking it, I can transport it easily to someone else's house. It's also great to make if I know my oven will be crowded with other things.
You can top the cream cheese mixture with any of your favorite taco toppings. I usually stick with mild salsa, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce since most people tend to approve of those toppings. If you and your crowd are a fan of olives, scallions, and jalopenos, however, then I would add them too! I have a friend who hates onions and a boyfriend who hates spicy things so I always have to keep them in mind! If it was up to me, I'd be using jalopenos, spicy salsa, and hot sauce on top! I like thinks spicy, but since most people don't, I usually keep this dip as mild as possible. Don't be afraid to customize the dip based on what you love. Hope you enjoy!!
- 1 (16 oz) container sour cream
- 2 (8 oz) packages of softened cream cheese
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) jar of salsa
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, diced
- shredded lettuce
- tortilla chips
- Using a hand mixer, mix together sour cream, cream cheese, and taco seasoning.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on the bottom of a dip dish
- Spread salsa on top of cream cheese mixture
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the salsa
- Scatter lettuce and tomatoes on top of cheese
- Serve with tortilla chips