My coworker was eating the stuffed tomato with a salad, but I decided to have it as a side to grilled chicken for dinner. The stuffing is basically a ham salad and the mixture would really taste great on anything. I would consider even putting it in a sandwich. I made this recipe per tomato so that you can alter the recipe depending on how many tomatoes you'd like to make.
The great thing about this recipe is 1) you can easily add to or take away anything from the recipe and 2) it takes 2 seconds to make!!
- 1 big red tomato
- 1 ounce cubed ham
- 1/8 cup peas
- 1/8 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 cup chopped pickles (I used dill but sweet pickles would work too!)
- 1/8 shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- a dash of salt and pepper
- Cut off the top of a tomato and dig the center out so that you have a hallow shell.
- Mix together ham, peas, onion, pickles, cheese, mayo, salt and pepper
- Stuff the tomato with the ham mixture