For those of you who are not familiar with american chop suey, it is basically just pasta with meat sauce. It is a really quick weeknight meal which makes it an easy go-to for me.
This is just an overall awesome family dish.
- 1 pound pasta (I used ziti, but you can use your favorite pasta)
- 1 (24 oz) jar of tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- Italian Seasoning (dried thyme, oregano, and basil)
- red pepper flakes
- parmesan cheese for topping
- Cook pasta according to package directions. I like to cook it al dente (a little hard) so that the pasta does not turn into mush when you add the meat sauce. To cook it al dente, just subtract a couple minutes from the cook time on the package.
- Add the diced onion and ground beef into a pan. Brown meat.
- Drain excess fat from pan.
- Season the meat with a few dashes of italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat tomato sauce in a small sauce pan.
- Combine pasta, meat mixture, and sauce in a pan.
- Serve with parmesan cheese