Anyways, one day I stumbled across a blog post sharing a pesto recipe (I think on Chef in Training). I looked at the ingredients and my jaw dropped. Everything in pesto was something I would eat and something all of my family would eat. So now I'm definitely trying to be careful of what I assume of foods. Most likely it isn't true!
This recipe combines some of my favorite things, like pasta, broccoli, and bacon, with pesto, beans, and chicken. It's fantastic. There are many different textures and flavors in each bite - it was such a hit at my table!
from Picky Palate
What you need:
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 lb. mini bowties
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 15 oz. white beans
- 15 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup prepared basil pesto (I used this one from Savory Sweet Life)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Heat 2 Tbsp. EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Cook bowties al dente, rinse, and drain. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. EVOO in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, garlic, and broccoli. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken into strips, cubes, or bite-size pieces - whatever you prefer. Set aside.
- Stir in beans, broth, cream, pesto, and Parmesan. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to heat everything through.
- Add bacon, pasta, and chicken. Heat through.