Now, where can you find that?! I even snuck them to my boyfriend who refuses to eat anything “diet” and he loved them!! Another fun fact is that these cookies are flourless and gluten free.
I found this recipe in Cosmopolitan’s January 2012 issue. The recipe was created by Katie Lee (Billy Joel’s ex-wife). You can check out her fabulous food blog at http://www.katieleehome.com/blog/
This recipe makes about 25 cookies.
Nutrition Facts Per Cookie:
8.5 g carbs
0 g fiber
1 ½ cup of liquid egg whites (or 4 large egg whites)
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. You can check to see if you have soft peaks by lifting up the beater from the mixture. The egg whites should stand up forming what looks like peaks. Soft peaks are when the peaks slightly bend over. Hard peaks are when the peaks stay standing up straight.
- Pour in sugar to the mixture 1/4 cup at a time, until it is incorporated with the mixture.
- Add vanilla and beat until hard peaks form. Don’t overbeat the mixture though!
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Gentle is the key word here. You do not want the mixture to fall.
- Drop by the spoonful onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes. It seems like a long time, but you really need the full 40 minutes or the cookies will not cook all the way through.
- Once the cookies cool, move them immediately from the baking sheet, otherwise they will become stuck to the parchment paper.