Are these just not the cutest cupcakes you have ever seen?! They look like little sundaes, and I just am in love with them. Thank you Amanda for helping me make these last night. Unfortunately, I was plagued by a pesky migraine and our Friday night plans were ruined. We ended up staying in and making these cute cupcakes in our pjs. There was a lot of mess and disaster but also lots of laughter and we ended up having a great time. There is nothing like curing a migraine with cupcakes haha. Also, thanks to Amanda, I got some piping lessons and I think the frosting came out just beautifully.
I am so glad that I found this cupcake recipe! Not only are these cupcakes beautiful but they are absolutely delicious. I love anything almond flavored. I'm also pretty sure I could eat maraschino cherries by the handful. These cupcakes also bring me back to my childhood when I used to drink shirley temples by the gallon. Okay, that is an exaggeration but I'm pretty sure I would have if I could!
Your Cup of Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup Maraschino cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2-3 tsp. almond extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- About 20-24 Maraschino cherries with stems for decorations
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and almond extra. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in chopped maraschino cherries.
- Fill cupcake liners with the batter and bake for about 17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- For the frosting, beat butter until creamy. Add almond extract and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency and sweetness.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, frost them generously and top with sprinkles and a cherry on top!